Saturday, July 19, 2014

On Tea: PG Tips

Ah, a July Saturday afternoon!  Perfect for a nice cup of tea and sandwiches in a shady spot the patio....  Or bundled up on the couch with a hot mug, more like.  65F and rainy in the middle of July?  Well, better than 95 and so humid you're ready to pass out, one supposes.

Despite the fact that it's a cup of Yorkshire Tea I'm currently snuggled up with, I'm going to start with PG Tips.  We'll get to Yorkshire in a bit.

We’ll start at the beginning, shall we?  PG Tips, a bagged tea in fairly decent little pyramid-shaped bags, is a solid, bog-standard, work-a-day brew.  And there’s nothing wrong with that.  Personally, I prefer tea as my morning beverage.  Coffee is an afternoon libation/treat/medication for me.  And I don’t often feel like doing anything fancy with breakfast.  Just give me some tea and cereal.  Beyond that, let’s just call it brunch and go out for someone else to serve it.

Anyway, this is where Tips comes in.  I find it to be a better tea than basic Lipton black.  You’ll at least get some tea taste out of Tips.  Don’t have to be too fussy with the water temp but you will want to mind the brew time – too long and it can be a little too bullying to the palate for me.

As for “pairings” – yeah, whatever you want here.  Like I said, I prefer tea with breakfast and any breakfasty stuff works fine: cereal, toast with jelly or cinnamon-sugar, oatmeal, anything.  It’s also fine with any other meal, with a sweet snack (not sure I’d do chips and tea, but that’s me), any sort of biscuit (Jaffa cakes are always nice, but this tea won’t overpower a regular digestive either).  Fine for a splash if milk, if you prefer it, but doesn’t “need” it either.


As teas go, not exactly a stunner, but PG Tips is reliable and versatile.  That counts for quite a lot.  7.5 points out of 10.  Good show.

That's the Tips in easy reach on my tea shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment